Thursday, August 26, 2010

Customer Service: Mental break down inducing.

So yesterday I woke up and called the customer service. The communication thing was bit of an issue but we got through it together. Today however, was a shitstorm waiting to happen. I was woken up at 8am to wait for the cable man, because our cable and internet managed to break down yesterday evening. I am okay with this.

The cable man arrived shortly after he called but he smelt with cologne. I am not okay with that.

He went around the basement where the main tv was, and he puttered around but in the end he stated it was all fixed. I asked him "Is the internet/wireless fixed?" He said "Yes". I was happy with this.

But when I went to check the internet, he left thinking all was fine. The wireless didn't work. The internet had been hooked up to the desktop no one uses, but the 4 laptops in the house were shit out of luck. You'd think if someone said something worked, it would function. I was not okay with this.

So I went down onto the desktop and I pulled up the website for my service provider and they had chat support. This was exactly what I needed, I was pleased that I saw it. I got on with a customer service person, it all went down hill. She kept asking for information that I didn't have. It was really pressing my nerves in a direction my nerves didn't bend. I am not okay with that.

Then she dropped the bomb; come back when you have the information, I can't seem to pull up your account. That is not what you tell someone who is really frustrated. This is around the time the mental break down started. There was tears; lots of them.

I asked what I could do since I was really annoyed by this woman. She asked me what province I was in. If you worked for a Canadian phone company you would assume that 709 would click in with Newfoundland. Nope. She has no idea that I lived in Newfoundland. So after a half hour of the worst conversation I have ever had, she realized she couldn't help me because they couldn't only help people in Ontario and Quebec. That just didn't make sense to me.

My response was: Are you serious? You must be joking.

I was ready to put someone through a wall.

But conveniently I have a friend who didn't want me to put anything or anyone through a wall. After eating some comfort food and being able to control my rage and tears he reminded me he was an IT manager. Although I feel like being saucy from him not helping earlier, I can't be mean to him because within 10 minutes he me set up my wireless and I was able to use my laptop again.

So the moral of the story is, tie your repair man to a chair until you check every service he is supposed to fix. Us chains if necessary.

4 comments:

  1. Similar thing happened to me :L

    My TV box decided not to work any more. But I'm a techy guy so I went through all the complicated things that the engineer is supposed to do. But nothing helped.

    So I called "the guy" and he did the same thing that I did (reset it) but it take 5 minutes to complete, so instead of waiting to see if his half assed effort worked he just ran back out to his van and went off. Obviously it still didn't work and I had some rather disappointed phone calls to the company who said he would be back in half an hour.

    2 hours later and he didn't show up, by which time it was late so I didn't have my hope up.

    In the end it was a simple matter of the wrong card was inserted in the box when we had it installed the week before so I swapped it in and it worked.

    Hope you don't mind my mini blog post lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, its okay. We all have to vent when it comes to the customer service industry.

    The cable guy came back cause it still wasn't fixed, and he was like "I didn't know you had laptops."

    We walked into my brothers room and he had a laptop, and when he came up and spoke with me, I was on a notebook. Bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. It annoying when people stupider than us get to making a living from being stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really though. That shouldn't be allowed.

    ReplyDelete