Friday, December 3, 2010

Chapter Last/Favorite [Nano '10]

I felt nervous as the doctor seemed puzzled by his sheets.
“So Hammer, we are trying to gather background information about you, and I was looking into your human background, and you are an orphan, have you ever been in contact with your family?”
“No, I don’t know how they are.”
“Thats what I thought..”
“Why? Why does it matter whose egg and sperm I came from.”
“Well we are trying to get birth records for you, and we need to have parents for the records.”
“Well my parents are long gone. The orphanage never knew who they were, they left me in front of their door, just like Warrens family.”
“No, I know who your family is, we did DNA sampling on your blood.”
I felt like mentally I was transformed into a tv show where the people were chanting and cheering to find out who was the father. Those shows used to come on in the lunch room for the lab workers but I never watched them, I thought it was silly. 
“I don’t need to know who they are, I won’t know who they are so telling me them their names will just lay the burden of me remembering their names.”
“Dr Ader is your father.”
I threw up on his desk. I don’t think I had ever thrown up since I became bionic but that was like being punched in the head with a board. I was not expecting that. The scientist wasn’t impressed by my vomit but he wasn’t mad either. I wiped my mouth and stared at in him in a confused state.
“Hes what?! Tell me your joking.”
“No. There are things that people tell you that you aren’t supposed to know, and I never knew that Dr Aders wife had a kid, but I knew about his wife. I guess your mom. She was a nice lady, back when Dr Ader was nice too. I heard he used to be perfectly sane, mind you, I haven’t known him that long. But once he started to work on projects, Dr Ader went nuts, like, nuts. And she was already with.. well you, and she wanted a devorice but he wouldn’t let her.”
I sat there. My stomach heaved as it reacted to loosing everything that I had put in it. I was in so much shock, I felt everything go by slowly. I had never known about my parents, and I never wanted to know, it bothered me to know that my father was such an ass. Thats why I never wanted to know about him. 
“So Mrs Ader, where is she now?”
“In her grave. I guess she had you, left you with someone who wasn’t nuts and killed her self shortly after. That sounds correct. I’d do that if I was a woman and my husband was nuts and wouldn’t let me leave.”
“Are you imagining your self delievering a child sir?”
“Uh, thats not the point. The point is, that I thought you should know. I found it out, I’ll probably not show him the tests, and put that in a different file. Files get ‘misplaced’ all the time. Like, your file magically showing up in cosmetics. Poof.”
I liked this man. He was funny. He probably was only 10 years older than me, but I could respect him. I rubbed my head, feeling terribly confused. 
“I have a question for you.”
“Yes?”
“Do you have a gun?”
Me and the scientist talked for a while. His name was Steve. Me and Steve were going to be best friends. I was returned to the room and Dr Ader was in there, poking and proding at Warren. I didn’t like it at all. I couldn’t believe this man had a sperm in his body that could result in me. I walked towards Warren and stepped between him and her and pulled Warren into my laps as I sat down. 
“Don’t be touching her. Shes not yours, shes mine.”
“Well thats not true, I won the court case. Remember that? Boo hoo, we are real people, we belong to our selves. A sandwhich can’t own it’s self and to them you are just as much as a sandwhich, doesn’t that make you feel amazing about your life? I bet it would. I would feel lovely if I had no control over my life.”
“So did you come out of your mother talking out of your ass, or was that an acquired talent that you had to master.”
“You are terribly saucy for a boy who is in the postion that you are in. I can turn you off when ever I want, and I can turn off your girlfriend and do what ever I want, or any of the staff members want.”
“So you are going to do, at least in the equvialancy in your mind, rape a sandwich? Cause isn’t that what we are? Sandwiches with no rights to own our selves? Raping sandwiches sounds wrong, but what ever, if you are into that kind of shit.”
“Once again Hammer, you seem to be awefully confident for a boy who doesn’t have a prayer in the world. You know, we are going to start with the converision process soon. I bet you didn’t know that. I was just telling Warren, wasn’t I?”
“Yeah, he was telling about how I’ll get to live a great life killing people, and I get to be kept in a storage closet for pay. Isn’t that wonderful?” Her voice was monotone, but annoyed. “You know, people always ask, would you kill a person for a million dollars, why can’t we get paid that much?”
“Because you’re not employees, you are equipment.”
“We are people. We came from people, we were raised by people.”
I was frustrated with him.
“You guys came from people who didn’t want you, and the people you were raised by, were paid to raise you. They didn’t like you either. No one ever loved you. Well you guys might tell each other you love each other but you don’t.”
“I know who my fucking parents are.”
“They did fuck.”
Warrens humor was poorly timed.
“Your parents probably never ever wanted to see your face again. Once they realized how useless you are to the world. At least now I am helping you, and them because now you have a purpose. If you become hit robots, you will be taking the job of a human that is very dangerous. Doesn’t that sound considerate? Would you rather want someone else to die? I doubt you would, you guys seem like niceish teenagers. No backbone though.”
“You don’t know what you are even speaking about.”
“Of course I do.”
“No you don’t. I wasn’t useless to my parents, my parents were as***les.”
“They aren’t as***es for giving you up.”
“No, that is not the reason. When I found out who my parents were, I vomited, straight up threw up. You don’t know what it’s like to live a life that you never know who gave you up. You never know what your life could have been, and then you find out, and you never even wanted to know. You can’t unheard things, things can not be unseen and you can not unlearn things. They are assholes. Assholes aren’t people who give up their child because they want them to have a better life, assholes aren’t people who can’t raise their children who give them up. Assholes are people who take humans with robotic parts to court trying to claim that they own those humans. That is what an asshole.”
“Yes, I know, you think I’m an asshole but that compairision doesn’t apply here Hammer.”
“Unfortunately it does. Ever watch the show where they do the dna tests and find out who the father is. Oh, well guess what, you’re my father, asshole. You being an asshole, makes you an asshole.”
He looked like he was having a heart attack, and so did Warren. 
“What are you talking about?!”
“You had a fucking kid and never thought twice about it when your wife killed her self and left the kid out on someones doorstep? You never thought twice that maybe the fact you had a kid meant that you had a kid out there? Yes. I am your child. Found that out today. You piece of scum.” I was starting to feel better. I felt better than him currently. “There are people like you that I have seen come back trying to get their kids back, and do you know what? They don’t want to go. I would rather be adopted by anyone in the world that see the people who dropped me off on the doorstep. How fucking stupid are you?”
“That doesn’t make any sense, stop making shit up.” He grabbed me by the arm and started to get mad. “Don’t be saying things that you can’t afford to not back up. You have a lot of stakes high Hammer, and I don’t. Who cares that I have a kid? No one. No one cares, I doubt I am your kid. I have had plenty of people try and tell me these things before to try and get me off my focus, but nope, I am not believing you.”
“Your wife wanted to leave you, and now you won’t let me go? Physically? Is that how it was with your wife?”
“Shut up you little s**t!” 
He started to go for a knife, I knew what he was going to try and do. Warren tried to pry him off of me, but he slashed out the knife, cutting her arm. I heard her scream as it slit her arm. I tried to stay focused. 
“You wouldn’t let her leave, couldn’t let her be happy, couldn’t handle the fact she wanted to be happy without you. That just drove you nuts didn’t it?”
He went to start moving the knife towards me and I pulled out the gun and stuck it in his face very suddenly. He let go of my arm but didn’t move his knife. He drew the knife against my stomach and I pulled the trigger almost at the same time. I heard him fall to the floor but I couldn’t tell what was happening with all blood loss. I was dazed, I felt like I was losing a lot of blood. 
“STEVE. STEEEVVVEEEE...”

  

No comments:

Post a Comment